Thursday 20 June 2013

Oath of Servitude (The Punishment Sequence #1) - C.E. Wilson [Review]

This review contains spoilers.


Oath of Servitude by C.E. Wilson


Title: Oath of Servitude 
Author: C.E. Wilson
Publisher:  Self published
Series: The Punishment Sequence #1
Release Date: September 2012
Pages: 159
Rating: ★★★☆












Blurb:


This is the story of Teague and Cailin, two teenagers who have been brought together by fate. Teague, a human, struggles to come to terms with the consequences of a recent accident that has destroyed the happy life that he had once enjoyed. Cailin, a pixi, is trying to stay true to herself while fighting against forces beyond her control that have exiled her from her home into this strange world of humans. She fears the darkness. He cannot escape it. But when the two of them are thrown together, they begin to discover the light inside of themselves.


Review:


I received a copy from the author. This will in no way influence my review. It will always be based on my opinions.

I was pleasantly surprised by this debut of CE Wilson.

Pixi Cailin is sent to a human house as punishment for her rebellious actions. She is to help the human boy Teague, who was blinded by an accident and is quite depressed. They bond and begin to form an impossible relationship.

First of all the story world was very original. The female protagonist was a pixi, I have not seen this creature anywhere in a YA book. The pixies and their world is explained throughout the book. It's not very detailed apart from their appearances, I would have liked to know a little more about the world.

The book was very short, only about 150 pages. The pacing is fast, so I finished this book in a few hours. But I did not feel like anything was missing, apart from maybe a little too less world-building.

The writing was really good and did not feel awkward at all. The last thing is always something I fear when reading books by new authors, but it was not the case at all in this book.

I really loved the main characters. They both had a POV, this was really well done in the book. I felt a connection to both of them because of the switching POV's.
The female protagonist is Cailin, a pixi. She is one feet tall, but she stands her ground. She is out-going and stubborn, but very caring.
Teague is a nice boy, who has grown depressed by his blindness. I felt really sorry for him and I liked how he got better and better everyday Cailin was in the house.

The fact that they are attracted to each other may seem weird, but the writer brings it in such a way that it's really sweet. They bond while Teague does not know Cailin is a pixi, so a real relationship develops, not based on appearances, just character. I find this a very great aspect in the book, since most female protagonists in YA books only fall for a boy because he is hot (not calling names).

The only thing I was not really interested in were the parts in the pixi land. There were so many characters, all with weird names. I got confused and I did not really understand what was going on there. I wish that had been more detailed.

Overall it was a fun, quick and quite unique read. I'm really curious to see how the relationship between the pixi and human evolves.

Stars: 3/3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'll do my best to reply to everyone (that is why I'd love for you to subscribe to my comments) and to visit your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...