Sunday 23 February 2014

Ignite Me - Tahereh Mafi [Review]

CONTAINS SPOILERS!
Title: Ignite Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperTeen
Series: Shatter Me #3
Release Date: February 4th 2013
Pages: 416
Rating: ★★★★1/2


Add on Goodreads
Juliette now knows she may be the only one who can stop the Reestablishment. But to take them down, she'll need the help of the one person she never thought she could trust: Warner. And as they work together, Juliette will discover that everything she thought she knew - about Warner, her abilities, and even Adam - was wrong.


Review (with spoilers):


     I was so excited to read this last book in the Shatter Me series and it did not disappoint me! I read in just one day, so I can say for sure it is a page turner. I really loved Ignite Me, but there were just a few things that bothered me...

First of all, Adam, he changed so much in this book. He went from sad and heartbroken in Unravel Me to mean and cruel. If he really loved Juliette (of which I was convinced in the last 2 books), he would have let her go and respected her choices. Instead he said the most horrible things to her and acted like she was a child who needed controlling. Although I'm a Warner fan, I found this change disappointing and it just did not fit with who he was in the previous books.


The end was quite rushed in my eyes. Most of the book works up to a war against the Reestablishment, which is over in 10 pages. I had expected an entire showdown with Anderson, but he was killed in a second. Juliette then tells everyone she is in charge now and that is it. The last page suggests the war is far from over and the entire world will be charging them, but since this is the last book we will never know about that. 


I had hoped that the reveal of Warner and Adam being brothers would be bigger, that maybe they would have had more bonding time or maybe a confrontation together with Anderson. I felt this too was a bit rushed.

     That were the negative points about the book, of course there were also so many great things! 
Mafi really knows how to write a story: great pace, beautiful writing style, awesome characters and swoon worthy romance. 

Aaron aka Warner was just the perfect 'bad boy who is actually really sweet'. I loved how he opened up further to Juliette and also started to trust other people beside her in this book. He was such an interesting and complex character, it was intriguing to watch him unfold. He is one of my favourite book characters ever.

It was great to see how Juliette finally accepted her powers and became truly badass. She changed so much from the sad, weak girl she was in Shatter Me. She was brave and fierce, the ultimate heroine.


Kenji was hilarious, I had to laugh so hard at his witty remarks. Without him the series would have been too serious, he was the perfect comic relief. 

The romance between Juliette and Warner was amazing, I'm so happy they ended up together. I cannot say anything else than that they belong together. And chapter 55 guys..

Conclusion: A great end to a great series!


Stars:  4.5 out of 5

7 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree! Even though there were major issues I still loved it. Warner is one of my favourite book boyfriends and I just love how you start out absolutely hating him and then you love him so much in the end.


    Adam's change was really...dramatic. He was completely different in this novel and although (like you) I'm Team Warner all the way I still feel like that was a bit over the top. I feel really bad for all the Team Adam fans...


    Juliette improved for the best and she just turned so badass at the end. I love how she finally did it for herself and nobody else.


    The Shatter Me series would not be the same without Kenji. I just love him so much and his quick wit and dry humour.


    Great review! I totally agree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I've only read the first book in the series, and I didn't like it enough to continue. I've read nothing but good reviews for the later books though, so I might still give it a shot!
    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider silk (Giveaway currently happening here!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would definitely give the second book a try! I found the first book nice, but the second I found amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of your negative comments, I hated the way Adam was portrayed, he was such a different character and I hate that his relationship with Juliette was almost completely dismissed. And the ending...definitely rushed and a bit anticlimactic, actually. So much build-up to that. Now I must admit that I was an Adam fan, and so I know that influenced my feelings about the book, but I really don't mind that Juliette chose Warner, but I didn't like the way the author rewrote history (Warner's and Adam's) in order to make that choice. I felt a bit manipulated, to tell you the truth. I liked the fact that Warner had done horrible things but could still be loved and love (and had some redeeming qualities). Instead, suddenly everything we thought we knew about him was wrong (like the toddler scene). There were things I really loved about the book, but that really bothered me. Glad you enjoyed it! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I loved this book too and it's one of my favorites now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. most people have mixed reviews for this book. I knew from the title that it was going to be about Warner so I didn't mind that much. But what I like is that we really didn't know about Adam and Warner and how they were. We only know that they both turn to mush around Juliette. I agree that Adam was made to turn into the bad guy per say but I noticed that when he wasn't in control he tend to lose control of his senses. Warner on the other hand wanted Juliette to be who she is not who she pretends to be. I enjoyed the Shatter Me series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'll do my best to reply to everyone (that is why I'd love for you to subscribe to my comments) and to visit your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...