Thursday 19 September 2013

Short Reviews - Ruby Red, Transfer, Devil and Deep Blue Sea, Darkness shows the Stars

Today I'm going to give you some short reviews of books I've read in the last couple of months, but never reviewed in full. This could have been because I couldn't really think of what to say about it or lack of time. 



Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy #1) by Kerstin Gier

I liked this book! It was a fun, quick and light YA read. The focus wasn't on the science part of the time travel, but I didn't mind that in this book. I liked the characters, especially the narrator. It was clear this was the first book in the series, the end felt very abrupt and the mystery hadn't been solved.

Recommended to: fans of light YA reads with a hint of sci-fi.

Stars: ★★★1/2







The Transfer: A Divergent Story by Veronica Roth

I waited for this novella for so long! I really loved Four in the Divergent series and I always wanted to know more about him and his life before Dauntless. Although it was a pretty short story, we get to see Four in a whole other light than in Divergent and this story gave him more depth. I liked the similarities between him and Tris, both gathering up courage to transfer and feeling strong afterwards. 
I can't wait to read Four's next story!

Recommended to: everyone who loves Divergent.

Stars: ★★★




Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

This was a very mysterious book, though I did not find it super creepy or horror-like. It had a lot of twisted characters, so I couldn't really identify with them. Same went for the romance, since it wasn't sincere I could not root for it. But I still quite liked the book, the writer is very talented in describing creepy locations.

Recommended to: lovers of mysterious books.

Stars: ★★★




For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

I read this book, since I absolutely loved Persuasion and I was curious to see how this writer would retell the story.
I can't say I thought it was very successful retelling. The pace was very slow and the story seemed to drag on and on. It did not help that the protagonist was constantly whining about how the boy she loved did not love her back anymore.

Recommended to: Well, not fans of Persuasion. Maybe fans of impossible romances?

Stars: ★★1/2



What did you think of these books?

5 comments:

  1. Haven't read The Transfer yet! I need to get my hands on it pronto.

    Come to think of it, haven't read any of these books yet. Ruby Red looks interesting. It sucks that For Darkness Shows the Stars didn't live up to expectations though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Transfer yet, but I really liked Divergent so I'll probably read it soon!
    Devil and the Deep Blue Sea sounds interesting - I like dark and twisted once in a while haha

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes and Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nice! I too enjoyed The Transfer! Just read that one yesterday!


    Keep meaning to read Ruby Red as I've had it on my TBR pile since about...its release? Yeah, real bad. It was one of the first few wins I won too! Really need to read that soon! At least now the trilogy--right?--is completed so I can read them all right away...most likely!\


    Great mini reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the Ruby Red series, but I have to say, it's really like one book split into three. That's my biggest complaint, so I agree with you about the ending feeling abrupt. It basically ends in the middle of the story (really the first third of it). But I love the MC and the time travel aspect of it. I still haven't read The Transfer (I'm not the biggest novella fan) and I recently got Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea so I hope I end up liking it. Mysteries can be fun. And I quite liked For Darkness Shows the Stars. I respected the MC for having such loyalty to her family, and I liked the second chance part of it. ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pity about for Darkness shows the stars. I didn't think the pace would be that slow. I think I'm going to wait a bit till I read the Transfer because I HEART four and will start demanding the next short story too soon. Ruby Red sounds awesome !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'll do my best to reply to everyone (that is why I'd love for you to subscribe to my comments) and to visit your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...