Monday 12 August 2013

Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2) - Alexandra Bracken [ARC Review]

This review contains spoilers for those who haven't read book 1.

Title: Never Fade
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Series: The Darkest Minds #2
Release Date: October 15th 2013
Pages: 512
Rating: ★★★★(1/2)
Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children’s League call Ruby “Leader”, but she knows what she really is: a monster. 

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children’s League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America’s children—and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts—has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future—and who now wouldn’t recognize her. 


As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam—and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart—she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?

Review:


I'm glad I gave 4 stars to The Darkest Minds instead of 5, because this book was even better, and 5 and a half stars doesn't exist! No sequel syndrome here:)

I waited pretty long to write this review after finishing the book, because I always have a bit of trouble with writing very positive reviews. I never know how to explain why I love the book so much, without sounding too weird. 

I will try to avoid spoilers in this review, since it is an ARC.

Quick summary

The book starts where book 1 ended. Ruby has removed Liam's memories and joined the Children's League, an anti-government group. She is now part of a team and extracts information from prisoners. When Liam's brother Cole asks her to find Liam, she escapes the Children's League and goes on a dangerous mission. Will she keep serving the League or does she want her old life on the run back, while endangering everyone she loves?

Characters

We get introduced to a lot of new characters. At first we have the CL team members. We meet snarky, always irritated Vade and sweet, innocent Jude. We meet Cate again, who is now more human and caring than in book 1 and Cole, Liam's brother, who is just like him, just much tougher and less emotional. This is just a small selection of the new characters, I don't want to give away too much. But they are all a great addition to the story and are well developed.

Of course we also meet some old characters again. We find out what happened to Liam, Chubs, Clancey and others Ruby met on the run. Especially the reunion of Liam and Ruby was very painful and heartbreaking, since he of course can't remember her. I loved how the writer developed this part of the story, it was one of the things I looked forward to most after finishing book 1. I won't say what happened, but warning: buy some tissues and be prepared to see a darker side of Liam.

Our protagonist Ruby has changed since book 1. She is tougher, uses her abilities more and is just more mature. She was pretty cold in the beginning sometimes, but after leaving the CL she became likable again. She turns into a real leader and doesn't let people use her anymore. Ruby is one of my favourite protaganists, since she is so loyal and will do anything to protect her friends.

Plot

Never Fade was fast-paced, action packed, full of suspense and never boring. From page 1 I was hooked! We continually find out new stuff and new questions pop up. I did miss a sort of recap at the beginning of the book. I remembered everything, but I can imagine if you read the book ages ago, you will have some trouble getting into the story again.

I liked how in this book we got a better sense of how the world worked and of the problems in the CL. Lack of worldbuilding was one of my problems in book 1, but Never Fade solved this. And most of all: more explanation of the virus and the powers, since that was practically non-existent in book 1. It's like Alexandra Bracken read my mind.

The end was just killing. I won't spoil anything, but it was a major cliffhanger that left you overwhelmed and wanting more!

One thing that grabbed my attention was the cursing in the book, since I couldn't remember any cursing in book 1. It was especially Vida that was pretty generous with the f-word. I didn't really have a problem with it, but I wanted to mention it for people who do.

Conclusion

Okay, I hope I accomplished to show how much I loved this book! 
I can recommend this book to everyone, it was just so good. One negative point: Book three is so far away!

Stars: 4.5 out of 5

5 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to start this series! It's relieving to know that the sequel doesn't disappoint! I'm a sucker for action-packed and fast-paced books. Oh, and the cover gives me chill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this book too, and I agree, it is better than the first book. What happens with Ruby and Liam in this book...obviously I can't say since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I thought Alexandra Bracken did a perfect job with that. I just felt for Liam. Gah! My heart was breaking. And Chubs, if you didn't love him in The Darkest Minds, you definitely have to love him now. And Jude...I just can't talk about Jude.


    I can't wait for the next book, but I guess the only good thing about it being so far away is that I'll have to re-read the first two! :) ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read this. So jealous you got to read it already.

    Andreea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome series. I really want to read it, I've never heard of them before

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading Never Fade and I love it. Also, the f-word was used twice in book 1. When Chubs went off on Clancy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I'll do my best to reply to everyone (that is why I'd love for you to subscribe to my comments) and to visit your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...